Week In Review:
We had a busy week in 4th grade! Our student teacher, Miss Cavaness started this week. We have loved welcoming her and showing her the ropes in 4th grade. This week we also got to attend a question and answer session with Author James Riley.
We also got to attend the 1st & 2nd grade performance featuring the Girls' Honor Choir called "I Wish I Were A Butterfly". Great job girls! We had a great time listening to you sing.
Finally, we had a special visitor from Arts' Partners on Friday. We had a Sacagawea story teller spend some time with us in the afternoon. We enjoyed listening to her stories of what life was like on the expedition with Lewis & Clark. We especially loved the pet snake!
Writing Workshop - "Information Article"
- Writers added revised their information articles by adding transitions to their piece.
- Writers learned the importance of paraphrasing.
- Writers practice paraphrasing with a 5 step procedure. Then students applied this practice to their information articles.
- Writers used the information article Learning Progressions to revise and edit their piece. Writers scored themselves with this tool and then used the next level's expectations to improve their article.
Social Studies - "Missouri Statehood and Westward Expansion"
- Students discussed the importance of the Missouri Compromise.
- Read Minnow & Rose
Reading - "Historical Fiction"
- Students continued working on IRAs during independent reading time. These assessments will provide data that will help when creating Historical Fiction book clubs.
- Read Pink & Say and took notes of what we noticed in Historical Fiction texts.
Remember to read 30 minutes nightly!
Math - "Multiplication & Division"
- Math Benchmark 2
- Amusement Park Division
- Students investigated the question "What Do You Do With Remainders?"
- Mathematicians learned how to use mental math to find quotients.
- Mathematicians learned how to use compatible numbers to estimate quotients.
Remember to practice math facts nightly! Students can log into XtraMath and practice at home.
News & Notes:
- Be sure to check the calendar on the blog for important dates.
- We will have a Late Start day on February 1st.
- Love Law? Interested in an essay writing contest with a cash prize? For more information, contact Mrs. Wood.
- February 7th - PTO General Meeting & Barretts STEM Night
- February 10th - Mrs. Wood Out for Personal Day
- February 17th - Records Day, NO SCHOOL
- Six Flags Reading Logs are due on February 24th.
- Need a reading log? Just let me know!
- Love Science? Check out the Science Fair & STEM EXPO on February 25th. Register here - http://tinyurl.com/pkwystudentsciencefair2017