Learning Target 1:
I can generalize place value understanding for multi-digit whole numbers. This means I can...
- explain the pattern of 10s in the structure of our number system.
- use place value to express a larger number in a variety of ways.
- read, write, and compare multi-digit whole numbers up to 1,000,000 and record the comparison with the appropriate symbol (>, =, <).
Learning Target 2:
I can use place value understanding to round multi-digit numbers to any place, understanding that the goal of rounding is to get as close as possible to the original number. This means I can...
- use place value understanding to round numbers to any place up to 1,000,000.
Learning Target 3:
I can use a variety of strategies to add and subtract fluently (accurately, flexibly, and fluently) This means I can...
- use and explain the standard algorithm for addition and subtraction.
- determine when the standard algorithm is the best choice for adding and subtracting multi-digit numbers.
Learning Target 4:
I can use the addition and subtraction operations in solving multi-step word problems. This means I can...
- solve multi-step word problems.
- represent a word problem by using equations with letters standing for the unknown number.
- check the reasonableness of my answer based on estimation, mental math and rounding numbers.